Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sabbath Musings

Today in Sacrament Meeting we got a new bishopric.  One of the counselors is moving with his family to Saratoga Springs and so the reorganization was necessary.  The whole Stake Presidency was there and it was a joy to feel the Spirit in the Bishop's decision about his new counselors.  I thought he'd keep the one that was staying but it turned out that they were both released and two new ones put in.  As the new counselors took their seats on the stand, I felt the Spirit and knew that both had been called of God.  As the new second counselor stood to bear his testimony he talked about how it would be easy to get up there and talk about how inadequate he was, but he also knew that this calling came from the Lord, Jesus Christ and to question His authority would be putting the man's will above that of the Lord, the leader of the church.  I had never thought of it quite like that before.  One of my favorite quotes says, "The Lord doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called."  I truly believe that and I decided today that I would strive always to put the will of Heavenly Father above my will, by not questioning what he asks me to do.  I have felt inadequate in most of my callings, but every time I am blessed beyond words as I have done my best to do the Lord's will.  It's a good lesson and I 'm grateful for the reminder today.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

We got a new counselor today too. But we were not there because we have a family full of sickness.

Nicole said...

Do you know how much I needed to read this today? Last night, I got called to be the Primary Chorister. I feel SOOOO inadequate, but the second counselor who extended the calling said they felt very strongly about it and received confirmation from the Lord. I will not question His calling. Thank you so much for the reminder that it's not about my petty insecurities, it's about serving and having faith in my Heavenly Father that I can do the job He has called me to do.