Friday, November 9, 2012

November 9

Today I am grateful for friendly happy people.  It's been kind of a weird day.  It's been snowing since about 7 this morning. Snow at Arctic Circle means that a lot of people don't roll down their windows all the way and it's really hard to hear them, and then when they pay they roll up their windows, so you're standing at the window waiting for them to notice their change or credit card, and then they act surprised to see you standing there... I love snow days!!  Anyway I had to work a 12 hour shift today and I started at 6:30 this morning at the temple so it was a long day.  About 40 minutes before I got off, I had pulled a car up so I could get a cone out to the car behind them and when I ran the food out after a few minutes, they thanked me sincerely and wished me a good night.  That happens quite often, but for some reason this time it touched my heart.  After so many people who were somewhat difficult to work with it was nice to be sincerely thanked.  It was nice to know that they were grateful to me for coming out in the snow... at least that's how I took it.  Sometimes I feel like I work in a thankless job.  It's almost as if people in the drive thru treat me like I'm somehow less intelligent than they are or that what I do for them is somehow below recognition, like it's expected somehow.  I appreciate people who recognize me as an intelligent human being and are sincerely thankful for what I do.  Those people are few and far between and they make me grateful.

No comments: