Monday, September 20, 2010

Early Monday Morning

Today was one of those days that you get into and then realize perhaps staying in bed would have been a better choice. Last night I was following the news about the Herriman fire, and so didn't get to bed entirely early. It wasn't really late, but I woke up at 7:30 a little groggy. I read the latest news that ksl.com had about the fire, and then got ready for work. I pulled into the parking lot just as the governor was saying a few words so I sat in the car for a few minutes and then decided it was time to get to it. My opening cook wasn't there yet, which is really strange for him, he usually beats me by 5 or more minutes and I ended up having to call and wake him up. I walked in and glanced at one of my cash registers and it had squiggly lines on it, and was blinking like a strobe light. This is not the first time I'd seen it do that, but I had the guy out on Friday to fix it and was charged $200 for it. I went immediately to the phone and called him back. He told me he'd be there around 10:30. Next I went to my office computer. It has been having some problems, but as long as it doesn't get turned off, it's been okay. Over Sunday, it must have gotten some new updates and restarted itself to install them, and wouldn't go back on. I called my boss to let him know, then called the IT guy to come. He told me he'd build me a new tower, and bring it by tomorrow. That's all well and good... for tomorrow. What about today?? I tried throughout the day to get it to start, but no go. Without the computer, one must do all the paperwork by hand. Now luckily, I've worked for Arctic Circle long enough, so I remember how to do things the precomputer way; however my assistant manager and supervisor have no clue, so not only do I get to do day books by hand, but also night books. That means going back in at 10 and spending an hour doing it the hard way. Needless to say, I'm really not appreciating the wonderful technological advances of the 21st century. If only they would work!! It's amazing what I take for granted at my job. Hopefully tomorrow will bring less excitement!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Yuck!! We have those days on occasion too. It makes me think of an episode of a sci-fi show I saw, where luck was a virus that "infected" the people and made them the luckiest people ever. Well, bad luck must be a virus too and apparently we can all catch it sometimes! :)