Friday, September 17, 2010

Christmas Music in September?

I just opened my email to an email from a local radio station proclaiming 100 days until Christmas. They were having a Christmas kick off- playing Christmas music from 8 to 5 today and giving away a great Christmas prize. I was really afraid this was the kick off and they'd be playing 100 days of Christmas music, but luckily for me, not so much. Now let's get something straight. I love Christmas music. A few years ago, I was that girl that started playing Christmas music the day after Halloween. Sometimes I listen to The Forgotten Carols in July. Then the radio stations started the radio wars, you know- be the first station to play nothing but Christmas music, and it starts a little earlier each year. I like Christmas music. Play it in November--maybe mix it in every fifth song or so. I just don't like turning on the radio in November and hearing the same songs over and over for eight weeks until I've completely lost the spirit of the holiday and threaten to throw the radio if they play Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer one more time! So for what it's worth, here's my two cents... Please hold the Christmas music for a few more weeks! There are a lot of other holidays between now and then!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I do not listen to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. Maybe it's because my birthday is on Thanksgiving every few years, but I have a special place in my heart for that forgotten holiday. I always want it to have its own spotlight before Christmas takes over. Plus, I feel like my Christmassy feelings are more intense if they don't string out over months. I love the music and the lights and the message and the anticipation, but part of the love is because I know it's for a short time and I enjoy it all the more. Kinda silly, probably. But no Christmas music for me for a few more months! Thank goodness my kids only listen to their Mickey and Children's Songbook CDs in the car so I have no danger of radio sabotage! :)

robert said...

I share your love of Christmas music. Round about the end of November I bring out all the CD's and old cassette tapes. Going caroling each year with a group of friends is also a delight. Christmas without music would not be Christmas!

And if you’ll excuse a brief “commercial:” If you don't have a good book on the subject of our Christmas carols, I encourage you to take a look at mine, Discovering the Songs of Christmas. In it, I discuss the history and meaning of 63 carols and Christmas hymns. The book is available through Amazon, or directly from Jebaire Publishing. (Might make a great gift too!)