Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Now which one was twist or It's not like it's rocket surgery

So occasionally something happens in my "boring life" that makes me smile and even less often something happens that makes me laugh out loud; the other day while at work I experienced a laugh out loud moment. As most of you are aware I manage a fast food restaurant called Arctic Circle. Arctic Circle is pretty well know for its shakes and ice cream. We have two ice cream machines in the store to keep up with the business. One is strictly vanilla and the other runs vanilla and chocolate. Chocolate is on the left and vanilla is on the right. Anyone who has had occasion to fill the ice cream (and that is everyone on my payroll) knows that. There are three handles; the one on the left does. . . you guessed it chocolate. Therefore it would then follow that the one on the right is vanilla and the one in the center will give you twist. That's logical right? So on the handles of this machine, there are stickers: A white one for vanilla, a brown one for chocolate, and a striped brown and white one for twist. I personally have never used the stickers to figure out which was which. In fact it took me about a month being in the store to even notice that the sticker existed. No other store I've ever worked at had them. My assistant put the machine together and apparently the stickers didn't mean anything to her either, because she mixed up the chocolate and twist handles. The result of this mix up would have made a hilarious segment on candid camera. About 90% of my staff would go to make a cone, look at the machine, get a confused look on their face, and then pull the handle that had the right sticker on it. At what point did it not occur to them that only the middle handle, you know the one in between the chocolate and vanilla, would give you both flavors? I mean do they think that under there is a container of twist ice cream and just for that day I had switched them? Anyway after about a day of watching them make the wrong cone flavors I finally realized what was happening, calmly walked over to the machine, and switched the handles. They all looked at me like I had found the cure to cancer. Apparently it hadn't occured to any of them that the mistake had nothing to with the ice cream inside, just the handles outside. Have you ever seen that joke "Idiots in the Workplace"? Just kidding. I love my idiots!!

2 comments:

Grama G said...

I would have liked to be a fly on the wall for that one. I seriously wonder about the aptitude of your crew. You know, I say rocket surgery to lots of people and they don't even notice. I sometimes wonder if people listen.

Julianne said...

Yeah it's true. Oh well. At least some of us appreciate the small play on words. I sometimes wonder about the aptitude of my crew too, but you know it's "just fast food"