Sunday, August 15, 2010

Meeting my Pen Pal

So a little more than a year and half ago, I wrote a post about pen pals. I had found an old friend on facebook and linked to his family's blog and then through blogging have gotten to know his wife and children like they were family. Today they blessed their third baby and were thoughtful enough to send me an invite. A few weeks ago I sent her an outfit for the baby and she emailed me and mentioned that it would be fun to meet in person at some point. At first, I was a little apprehensive, because I've always thought I'm a different person online; a likable one. I was afraid that the relationship would lose it's magic...for her. I knew I'd love her, I just hoped she'd love me as well. Well today I put aside my apprehension, and with the help of Mapquest found their church and went to the blessing. As I walked into the foyer, the husband was there and I greeted him. After a moment, recognition set in and the greeting back was warm and friendly. We figured out later that we hadn't seen each other since high school graduation over 14years ago. We walked into the chapel and he got his wife's attention. She immediately recognized me and we met. She made me feel so welcome, and introduced me to all the family present. After the blessing, she let me hold the baby for the rest of Sacrament Meeting. When it was over, they extended the invitation to meet at his parent's house and I readily accepted. I spent the afternoon getting to know the kids a little more. In fact, Miss E, the two year old, and I had a fantastic conversation and it was so much fun to get to know the little girl that I had watched grow up through pictures. I helped take pictures for them and when I left I felt as if I had known them for years. I guess if you think about it, I kind of have... you don't need to see each other in person to know someone. All you need is an honest medium and through blogging we have found that. So thanks to my pen pal and her adorable family for making our meeting possible and for inviting me into your family. We decided we definitely will get together again!

3 comments:

Kayla and Greg said...

That's so cool you finally got to meet! :)

Unknown said...

Hey there Julianne! That is so awesome that you finally got to meet her and her family. I really enjoyed reading this blog post and seeing the pictures of her family. I would really like to meet her sometime and get to know her too. She seems like a great person. Mark found a great women. How have you been? Take care and have a great new week!!!

Nicole said...

Awww, you are such a sweetheart! It was awesome to meet you in person. I feel the same way--it really feels like we've known each other for years. The pictures that you took were amazing. Thank you so much for coming and being part of such a special day! And thank you for being such a sweet person. No worries about our relationship losing the magic. My family loved you, I love you! Meeting you in person on Sunday has cemented the friendship for me! :)