Saturday, May 16, 2009

SLACKER

Okay so I am a blogging slacker! I'd like to pretend that I have a good reason, but it's just not true! Tonight I am home alone, listening to Showtunes so I may as well blog! A lot has been happening, but it all fits into the boring life category. You know once all of your dreams have been realized (you've seen Wicked), everything else pales in comparison!

A few weeks ago I was called into the Bishops office where he issued me a new calling. YW camp director. Now those of you who know me, know how I feel about this calling. Apparently when the YW presidency was discussing who they should call, mine was the only name that kept coming up to all of them. They all had a confirmation that they were calling the right person. I wish I could get one!! Don't get me wrong, I am so excited to work with the YW in my ward, and the YW presidency is amazing and I'm really excited to work with them, but lets talk about things that I hate.
1. CAMPING!!! I think camping is a fantastic torture method. Why do people choose to lie on the ground in a confining bag, in the cold, smelling bad, and call it fun??? Not me. Camping to me is a bad motel or at worst a motor home. Lets stick with Motel 6.
2. HIKING!!! I think it's absolutely no fun to climb on a barely carved trail through bugs and brush, to see nature! Most hikes involve climbing rocks and/or mountains and my fear of heights and either real or imagined asthma symptoms when I mix exertion with altitude really don't put me in the realms with most peoples idea of fun hiking. My good buddy Naomi would put on a pack and hike 30 miles in a few days just seeing how long she can survive in an Arizona desert. NOT FUN!!!

Anyway about 5 weeks after the ill fated interview with the Bishop they finally released me as Relief Society Secretary and I felt a moment of regret. I was called just over a year ago when I was somewhat new in the ward and have really enjoyed getting to know the sisters in my ward. I think that Relief Society secretary should be every womans first calling in a new ward. It is a sure fire way to learn who people are. I'm sorry to walk away from that.

In other non related news, I have been "wasting" a lot of time in front of my TV. It's my winding down time at the end of each work day, and so to feel like I'm not really wasting time, I pulled out my latest attempt at an afghan and I'm more than half done. It's cute! I'll post a picture when it's all done, but so far I'm just pleased in the fact that in the almost 10 years since I learned to crochet, I will actually have a finished project. I have a box of half finished ones I gave up on, mostly out of boredom, but this one will actually join the other blanket types I have in my linen closet.

Well I'm sure there is a lot more I could say but this is pretty long as it is! Good Night All!! I have a camp meeting in the morning!!! :)

2 comments:

Chantalita said...

I, on the other hand, LOVE camping and hiking. Call me crazy. I love nature. Spent the weekend camping.

Perhaps focus on the fun side of it. Get yourself a nice air mattress, get some cute hiking shoes, take some mini-hikes in the mountains with Michele. You might want to work up to it...and maybe, just maybe you'll surprise yourself :)

Nicole said...

Hee hee, you sound like Marc. I think he'd just as soon eat a tent as camp in it. I adore camping and hiking, but we haven't been for many years.

Maybe you'll end up enjoying this calling after all. Nature is beautiful, and there are so many reminders of all the wonderful things God has created. Plus, YW camp is so very important. It has the potential to be life-changing. Sitting around the camp fire at testimony meeting, I saw a lot of girls feeling something deep, besides the cattiness and competition that so often plagues young women. You can be such a great example as a strong, sweet woman of God.