Saturday, May 23, 2009

8 years later...

So I have been home from my mission a little more than 8 years. When I got home I asked my mom if she would teach me to crochet and she agreed. She suggested that I start with a dish cloth and I told her that if I was doing this I was going all the way. We picked out an afghan pattern and I went to it. It was a mixture of double and single crochet in one color and I got about 6 inches of it done and got bored. I put it away and a few years later, I bought another pattern book and picked out some of my favorite colors and started again. This one I got about 3 feet done and then ran out of the colors I needed since I messed up a lot, and decided I didn't want to finish it because it looks like a beginner afghan and I don't like it any more. Another few years later I got another pattern book and started on one called Fresh as a Daisy. I got about 9 blocks of it done, decided I was doing it wrong and put it away. About a month ago, I took it apart and started over and crocheted while I watched TV to wind down after a long day of working. For a month, housework and laundry were neglected as I saw them as a burden, taking me away from my addiction to crocheting. I finished the afghan at 1:00 this morning and so today is a day for reflection and celebration! I started another one a few days ago. Today I put it down for a few hours and caught up on the house work and laundry, so now I don't have to feel guilty for crocheting for another month! It's such a great feeling knowing that you conquered something hard and won. I am really excited about my daisy afghan! I'll post a picture as soon as I get one.

2 comments:

Grama G said...

I'm proud of you!Good job!

Nicole said...

That is so exciting! I absolutely love crocheting. My problem is that I do it so darn tight. (Hmm, what does that say about me? :) I usually have to pick a hook that is 3 sizes bigger than the one recommended so it comes out the right size. Isn't crocheting just wonderful and relaxing? I can't WAIT to see your finished project!