Monday, May 25, 2009

Called to Repentance

So Sunday I attended Mom and Dad's ward because one of the kids Mom used to tend came home from his mission. I was sitting in Relief Society and the lesson was on President Uchtdorf's talk from October Conference, entitled Lift Where You Stand.
(http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-18,00.html
) As the discussion ensued I found myself humbled. We were discussing the meaning of lifting where you stand and a lot of people were talking about callings and assignments and how we all have different talents and abilities, and how each calling or assignment is geared toward our talents and abilities. At one point in the discussion, I was considering my calling as Camp Director and realized that my only job in that calling is to make sure that each of my Beehives leave camp lifted. As I thought about lifting where I stand, it occurred to me that although I hate camping and hiking and so many other things about this calling; if I just change my attitude and strive to have a spiritual experience, I'll receive that confirmation from Heavenly Father that I've been looking for. If I can help each girl to have a camp experience that brings her closer to the other girls in the ward and closer to the Savior, I too will be blessed with those things and then it will make sense to me that that calling was geared to me at this moment in my life. Once again, I sit here grateful that within the parameters of the gospel of Jesus Christ we are given prophets and apostles who have had so many experiences that they then share with us, so that we can be blessed in our lives. Yesterday I was just the camp director. Today it's so much more.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Ah, it's so true! I was called to repentance too in Sunday school, when they were talking about spending too much time online and neglecting out personal relationships. Some nights I do that! (Marc's away tonight, so I'm catching up on all my blog reading! :) It's so amazing to go to church and hear exactly what we need to hear. Thanks for a great post, and a good reminder for me. I hope your calling goes well, and camp is a great experience for you!