Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Update

I just thought I'd take a minute and do an update. It's been a while since I just blogged for the fun of blogging even though I don't have a specific topic. Easter dawned clear and beautiful and my mood for Easter matched the day. Holidays are sometimes a bit difficult for me, because even though I get together with my unbelievably amazing family, sometimes I feel like the odd (wo)man out considering I'm the only one without a family and husband. Easter was no different. Although I absolutely love my role as Aunt Julie, every one's favorite aunt, it's not the same as being some one's mom. As we spent a few minutes taking "family pictures" of all the kids and parents in their Easter finest, I chose to have my picture taken with as many of the kids who were ready at the time. I think we have enough of "my family" pictures: ie. me alone! Following picture taking, I had arranged a special family surprise. One of our good family friends, the Ball family, who Mom tended for when the kids were small, came to visit and see the growing Gardiner family. It was fun to see "little" Brittany. Mom stopped tending when Brittany was 2, and now she's just shy of 14. We have seen the Ball family since not being their daycare provider, but it's been several years and they haven't met about half of my nieces and nephews. It was a fun visit. We gathered for a pot luck dinner that was amazing and then while Todd had the little kids occupied on the trampoline we played a quick family game. Later after dessert, everyone packed up their tired little families and I stayed to play Phase 10 with Malerie, Kaity, Carolee, and Mom. That's one of my favorite activities. If I could spend a day any way I would play games and listen to Showtunes. :)

This week has been tiring for me. I'm not sure what the difference is but I've had little motivation to do anything productive, so I got a book at the library and "wasted" a lot of time just reading. Now for those of you who like sappy Mormon romance novels with a good message, allow me to recommend this book. It's a feel good book that makes you realize that dreams can come true and in the end the good guy wins. I know it's not very realistic, but that's why I read. Reality is too vivid. I want to read Happily Ever Afters. Anyway the book is called A Modest Proposal, by Michele Ashman Bell.

All in all, everything continues to be good. I'm still plugging away and enjoying my life the way it goes. Happy Blogging!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I am sorry you felt like the odd woman out. Todd and I thought it might be more fun if we made Manti a girls night out thing, what do you think?

Unknown said...

Hey there! How are you doing? I'm doing okay. I know actually how you feel about being the odd women out. I feel like that all the time around my mom's side of the family. Especially at our family Christmas parties. Plus, when I go to the parties I feel left out as well. But with my family I don't feel like I'm the odd women out because all of us in my family are single. Well, I better be going now. Take care of yourself and I will see you tomorrow night at 6pm for Kayla's wedding reception.