Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Fun

I can't believe it's already almost December. This year has flown by. We had a really great Thanksgiving this year. The highlight of course being the food and I just wanted to share one really hilarious story. I drove down to my moms house on Wednesday to help her get ready. She decided that this was the year that we kids needed to learn how to make the famous Heritage Garden rolls. She made the dough at work and brought it home, then did the "hard part" rolling it out and making the correct shapes for us to roll. Now the secret to Heritage Garden rolls consists of first putting plenty of butter on the dough and second rolling them just right. You start with a piece shaped a little like a fat triangle, then you hold the top and run your fingers down the rest of the dough so it stretches out. Then you put your thumbs on the top and hold the dough between your thumbs and then flip it in the air about 6 times. So I grab my piece and stretch it out just right and begin the flipping process about the same time that Mom decides to grab the camera and make a video of Carolee, Spencer, and me working the magic. Just as she starts the video I have the dough in the air making my crescent shaped roll and the butter from the roll flipped into my eye. So I'm shouting "ahhh I just got butter in my eye," and Mom is like "Hey let me see your roll." So I hold the roll up to the camera closing one eye cuz the butter is sitting in my eye, and the whole video is me complaining about butter in my eye. Of course Mom has no sympathy because apparently getting butter in your eye is part of making Heritage Garden rolls. Anyway, the rolls were slightly misshapen but because Mom made the dough they tasted amazing. I think maybe we need to have rolls for Christmas so we can have more practice. I'll make sure Mom gets the video up on her blog so you can all appreciate the "butter in my eye" part of my boring life.

No comments: