Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Discovering the Key to Happiness

This week has been kind of hard. Not to be all preachy, but I think one of the big reasons for it, was that I wasn't doing the whole scripture study thing as well as I should have been. I recommitted Monday and the last two days have been a little better. Work has been a pain, because it seems like a lot of the people I work with are sad, depressed, emotionally unstable, etc. and the sad part is most of it is because of "my stupid ex-boyfriend". I'm so sick of it and realized that if you spend enough time with downers you start to feel a little down yourself. Yesterday I was reading in 2nd Nephi 9 where verse 3 says, "Behold, my beloved brethren, I speak unto you these things that ye may rejoice, and lift up your heads forever, because of the blessings which the Lord God shall bestow upon your children." This chapter is Jacob, teaching the people about the plan of salvation, or the plan of happiness. Later in verse 52 he says, "Behold, my beloved brethren, remember the words of your God; pray unto him continually by day, and give thanks unto his holy name by night. Let your hearts rejoice." Now if my understanding of the scripture is correct, Jacob was ordained to be a teacher over the people. That means that basically he is God's servant and "whether by my own voice, or the voice of my servants, it is the same." Letting our hearts rejoice therefore is a commandment. I've learned this week (again) that if we want to be happy, we have to do what it takes to get the blessings from our loving Heavenly Father who wants us to live the plan that leads to happiness. I wish I worked with more members of the church so I could make them understand. In the meantime, I'm choosing to follow the plan and find my happiness, and when I can't find it, I will pray continually until I am at peace.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I need to find more happiness too! But my problem isn't an ex boyfriend it is stress.

Nicole said...

I think the Lord made our hearts to naturally lean toward rejoicing, but we load them down with worry and stress and troubles that we don't need to carry. "Letting" our hearts rejoice is a good reminder to do what we're programmed to do anyway--men are that they might have joy, after all!

Great post, good reminder to find the happiness that is all around us.