Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fat is yucky!!

At the beginning of this year, I decided to get healthier. A few years ago, my mom came home from the library with a book called, "And the Fat Came Back." It's written by a woman who had tried so many diets and was frustrated because she'd lose weight using most of them, but the fat always came back. Shortly after reading it the first time, I went on Amazon.com and bought it. Then it sat on my bookshelf collecting dust for several years. Her book is a ten week plan, that she is adamant is not a diet, because we all know that the root word for the word diet is die... you all see where this is going. Anyway, for the first few weeks, you give something up for one week and then add something else in. By the end of 5 weeks, you are drinking 72 to 96 oz of water daily, and eating 3 fruits, 4 cups of vegetables, and 6 whole grains daily. Then you work on exercising, strength training, and counting fat grams and controlling how many you allow. I've been doing pretty well. Most days I acheive my goal of 3, 4, 6 and drink my water and on the days I miss, I reevaluate and recommit the next day. One of my favorite things about this plan is that it's a life style change, so it works and it's pretty fun! Also, one of the things she talks about, is not beating yourself up for messing up. So you ate a pint of Ben and Jerry's with a package of oreos. Tomorrow go back to peas and grapefruit, and you'll be fine! This is the week I'm supposed to count my fat grams and keep them between 22 and 45. It has been kind of rough, between my work schedule and planned activities that did not very well coincide with my eating plan. Not that I'm complaining, because let's be honest... that fondue was so worth it!! (Girls night!!) I decided this week would be like a holiday week and I'd start counting fat grams next week, because I've been at work a lot more this week too, and let's face it, it's expensive for me to take food to work, where I eat fat for free. Today I had a short day at work because I had an appointment with an endodontist (yes I need a root canal!). I ate Subway for lunch, which isn't all bad, but mixed with the fact that I haven't been very good about my 3, 4, 6 this week, or drinking enough water, I felt really tired and cranky! I was trying to figure out the problem. I go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time, etc. But today at 4:30 I was asleep on my couch. After groggily waking, and getting ready to go to Young Women's it occurred to me that the reason I've been feeling so good is because I've been really diligent about taking care of myself (losing weight and inches) and my body is not used to this abuse! I used to be the fat queen of America. I work and eat fast food daily for goodness sake! I used to eat chocolate cake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and now I go 2 days without my fruits, veggies, and whole grains and I am the poster child for this book!! IT WORKS!! Tomorrow, I'm back on it. I'm going to make sure I eat healthy and get enough water, because I do not want to feel like I do today. Fat is yucky!! I need some veggies!

2 comments:

Chantalita said...

I'm proud of you. And I completely agree with the principals or not beating yourself up but recommitting. That is so much more constructive, effective, and kind to yourself.

Nicole said...

Good for you. Sounds like a great plan! I agree, I'm the queen of beating myself up when I go astray with the eating. It usually happens at night when I should be sleeping. I'm still in awe that you can drink that much water. I still haven't been able to, even though I really should while I'm pregnant. Amen to the veggies--they are one of God's greatest gifts to the earth!