Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sabbath Day

Now that my camp blog is done, I just wanted to write. Someday I'll blog all that other stuff I'm supposed to. :)

Today was a good day. I woke up early and started my fast Sunday. I'm not usually one to fast. It makes me sick. I got so tired of the headache that accompanied fast Sunday that I gave it up for awhile, but right now I'm on a kick. I decided last Sunday that my spiritual life needed a boost and so I set up a study schedule and made myself a deal that I would be home at 9:00 every night and that would be study time. I started last Sunday and went strong this week and it amazed me how much I've learned in seven short days. I've been reading "A New Witness to the Articles of Faith" by Bruce R. McConkie. It's pretty heavy reading; I have to keep a dictionary close by, and most nights I walk away positively brain damaged, but the things I've learned are exciting! Lately my study has been about faith and I've learned some pretty cool things. It's a bit much to get into here, but if your interested I'll share more personally. Anyway, because of the spiritual high of studying and some topics it has caused to bring forward in my mind, I decided to give fasting another try. I prayed last night that God would bless my efforts and help me not to feel the ill effects of fasting. I mean I understand the stomach growling hunger pangs, but is the headache necessary? It was about half way through Relief Society today (which is about 3:30) that I realized I didn't have a headache and wasn't feeling uncomfortable in any way. Yay small miracles!! Anyway my spirit was honed in today and I learned and felt some amazing things during my meetings. It's amazing how when we are obedient and live the gospel, the Lord blesses us. Funny huh? No not funny! Totally exactly what he promised! It's nice to know that I have a merciful loving Father, who can help me to not feel discomfort while fasting and then bless me by letting me have an enormously fantastic Sabbath Day. The closing song in Relief Society was Sing We Now at Parting. The second verse says "Praise Him for His mercy, praise Him for His love, for unnumbered blessings, praise the Lord above. Let our happy voices still the notes prolong, One alone is worthy of our sweetest song." I feel blessed to be able to Praise the Lord for all those unnumbered blessings. How grateful I am to be in his debt.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I am happy for you. We have been working on our spiritual side more too. It is fun to see how excited AJ gets with family scripture study and family prayer each day. You will be blessed.

Nicole said...

That is so neat! I need to be more faithful in my study too. It always brings me peace and enlightenment, but for some reason it usually comes in spurts and then peters out. Thanks for your good example!