Thursday, September 10, 2009

Memories

Today is my friend Chantals birthday. We met in 2002 when we ended up in the same ward and she was dating the guy I wanted to date. I remember one of the first times I ever talked to her, she told me the shirt I was wearing made my eyes a really pretty blue, and all I could think was "I really don't like you." The months wore on and I kept not really liking this girl, because she was dating the guy I wanted to date, but all the time there was nothing to not like about her. Have you ever heard the country song "I'll think of a reason later"? That was Chantal. I used to call her creme brulee because of the part in My Best Friends Wedding where Julia Robert's character Julianne compares Cameron Diaz's character to creme brulee. She absolutely adores the girl, but hates her because she got the guy that Julianne was in love with (coincidence that we have the same name? I think not!!) Anyway the relationship between Chantal and Chad went on again, off again. . . Chad and I had some fantastic moments being just friends and at the end of the day we all became great friends. One day the truth came out. I told Chantal all about my problem with her and we kind of laughed about it. Several years later Chad married someone else, Chantal moved away to go to Law School and today we still keep in touch through blogging and the occasional phone call. When I think back on the last seven years knowing Chantal, I thank my Heavenly Father that I was able to get past my feelings of not liking her and really move on to the relationship we have today. To be perfectly honest, I can't imagine my life without Chantal. She'll probably be really mad that I make her sound so good, but there are few people in my life that make me feel as good about myself as Chantal does. She never judged me, even in my moments of jealousy. She is ever patient and so considerate of other peoples feelings. If I remember it right, she was even sorry for the way Chad treated me when they were dating, because at the time, she knew how much I wanted to be more than friends with Chad. She is the epitome of righteousness. She talks the talk, then walks the walk. Today on her birthday, I just want to thank Heavenly Father for aligning my life with Chantal's. I can't imagine being the person I am today without her influence. So Chantal, Happy Birthday and don't hate me for posting this!! I love you girl!!

1 comment:

kleb111 said...

Hi! I'm Kristi, Chantal's best friend since we were 5 years old. I love you blog about her and completely agree. She is a blessing. Thanks for making her birthday so special! Glad she enriches your life too.