Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mothers Day 2013

Today for the first time in my entire life, I am not spending Mothers Day with my mom.  Today I have the opportunity to spend it with my future mother in law and the rest of Allen's family and as I thought about that I realized that I've been kind of spoiled to not have to choose sides for holidays.  Today it begins... today I have to start the great compromise that all married couples have to endure and start picking sides.  Because of that, I decided to do a little blog shout out to my mom.  Since I don't get to see her today and I don't have a card for her, I'm going to do it on cyberspace and hopefully she reads it.  My mom has been my best friend for a long time.  She is constantly watching out for me and making sure I'm making good decisions and living up to my full potential.  I know that raising me wasn't easy.  I was often referred to by a specific four letter word:  brat.  It's nice to know that some of that wore off and now we're buddies.  We do lots of things together.  In fact, I've been kind of spoiled because I got to be an "only child" for a few years after all my brothers and sisters were married.  My mom and I still hang out, we have season tickets to a theater, we get pedicures together, cook together.  Since Allen entered my world, I fear my mom got a little back burnered. Now when we hang out he is often invited so I'll stay longer.  I really don't want to lose my hang outs with mom so I have to learn how to balance the boy and the mom.  It's hard to do and I see her a lot less now than usual.  Anyway, I want her to know how much I love and appreciate all she does for me.  I want her to know that I'm sorry I'm not with her today, but that I'm thinking about her.  I want her to know that she means the world to me and I'm so grateful for our relationship and I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father let her be my mommy.  I love you, Mom!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Aww, love this! It's true, perspective changes so much as we get older and go through different things in our own lives. I've certainly come to appreciate my mom more after being married, having kids, growing older, etc. Your mom certainly deserves props for helping you grow into the amazing person you are. HGUS!