Saturday, May 15, 2010

Ha Ha... Very Funny!

Every so often, I consider to myself that God has a pretty awesome sense of humor. I mean seriously... have you seen a duck billed platypus... a giraffe... a tapir?

Today I went to the temple. It has been entirely too long since my last visit and I have been meaning to go for weeks, it's just something always comes up on the one day I can actually go. I decided yesterday that I was going to go today no matter what got in the way. I got off work at 3 and had decided to go to the Salt Lake Temple so I could see the flowers on Temple Square and also see the Joseph Smith movie at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. I decided to ride the Front Runner, so I didn't have to deal with traffic and things were working out wonderfully. I got to the JSMB just in time for the movie, then got into the temple in time to do initiatory and an endowment session.

I went to the temple with a question in my heart. At the risk of getting too personal, I have been wondering about the promises in my patriarchal blessing about marriage and I was seeking some inspiration in the marriage category. As I finished the session and walked into the Celestial Room, I saw a face that I haven't seen in almost 6 years... that of my ex fiance. I half hoped he didn't see me, or didn't recognize me, or that it wasn't really him. I half hoped that he did see me, did recognize me, and felt really bad that he gave me up all those years ago... a girl can dream. He did see me, did recognize me, and practically chased me down. Okay maybe not true, but he did come after me as I left the Celestial Room and we talked for a few minutes. What do you say to someone who broke your heart 6 years ago, that you still think about every now and then? What do you say to someone, who at the moment when you're trying to gain inspiration about whether marriage is in your cards, makes you wonder what life would have been like, if you'd just met him 6 years later? What do you say to someone you haven't talked to in forever, haven't talked about with your common friends, but know enough about to strive to avoid anywhere he might be? What do you say to that one guy who you loved more than some silly school girl crush, and who had the power to make you cry about it for months? The crazy part is when I was walking into the temple, I was thinking..."Tom lives in Salt Lake. What if he's here tonight?" Why can't I just forget?

Isn't God funny?? I'm sitting here, 3 hours later, still kind of freaked out. Is it simple coincidence? Is there something more? If there is, is it somewhere I want to go? Am I being ridiculous? Probably so, but in the meantime, I think I'll do my next few temple sessions at the Bountiful Temple. I don't think I've dated anyone who works there.

4 comments:

Chantalita said...

Wow, you ran into Tom...in the celestial room of the temple. How strange.

Is this the first time since you broke up?

Nicole said...

Good grief! If that is coincidence, it's an awfully big one. I don't blame you for being a bit rattled. BTW, what DID you talk about for those few minutes? Was it super awkward, or were you somewhat comfortable talking to him?

Hay and J said...

I can't imagine all the feelings that came about! How uncomfortable! I hope it went ok! I'm sorry you had to go through that. But I always say theres always a reason for everything.

Nicole said...

I am not sorry you ran into him. I think there is a reason for everything! I want more details when we get back.