Sunday, August 2, 2009

Camp Update

So I posted about camp 50 days ago and now we're down to 3. On Thursday last week we got together with our sister ward to get ready. It's a stake beehive camp, but some of the wards have very few girls so the stake decided to combine wards with a fair amount with wards with a few so we combined our seven girls with a ward that has three. It works pretty well, because now we have 2 camp directors and 4 other leaders going up; takes a lot of stress off! We decided to have matching bandanas to set us apart so Haley, the 22nd ward camp director found pink Camo bandanas and we gave the girls sharpie markers and let them go to town. We also (in keeping with the theme) had some circular postit notes that we put on white paper and had everyone make a DOT name tag. Then we got some paper and cut out a big circle, put a picture of the Savior in the center (since the theme is Depend On The Savior) and then each girl and leader wrote her name on a dot and we put it around the picture. (I'll post pictures of our cabin when I get back so you can see it all!) We also had to write a cheer to introduce ourselves and I was really excited when Alex, one of my girls who isn't sure that she fits in, took over the writing. She came up with a pretty good idea and then we tweaked it a little and came up with: "We are the Dot to Dots, sisters, sisters, in the mixture. When connected to the Savior, we complete the picture!" It keeps with the theme and keeps with the corny atmosphere that camp generally is! Haley was also telling us (leaders) about a tradition that their ward has and we decided we could join in also. She brings up ice cream and toppings to make sundaes and then they make them in these trough like things. Then three girls per trough, and without spoons they eat their sundaes! The girls in her ward look forward to it every year and the new beehives know about it from sisters and older young women, so if it's not a part of camp they get really disappointed. I told her that would be a great thing to do! Sounds like fun to me and maybe I'll get my head in there! Anyhow lots of things coming together! I'll be sure to post all the pictures I get there. I'm praying that all goes well and all the girls have a spectacular experience, since for most of them it's the first time going to camp. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Good luck, sweet heart! I hope everything goes wonderfully and you have an experience that makes all the hard work worthwhile. Can't wait to hear how everything goes (and hopefully see some pictures!).