Monday, July 18, 2011

The final Alabama post... finally

Okay so let's wrap up May!!!  Wednesday was my last day in Alabama and I had to leave Florence at about 1:30 to catch my plane on time.  It was the day we had to pack in everything else that I wanted to do.  I had no idea that Helen Keller's birthplace was just minutes from Lynae and Tyler, and I decided I'd feel really bad if I didn't take the opportunity to see it.  Tyler went to work and Hannah, Lynae, Camden, and I headed to Tuscumbia to take a bite of history in.  Lynae decided to stay outside with Camden, so Hannah and I went in for the tour.  It's a pretty small house, and I didn't learn a whole lot I didn't know, but it was really fun.  Here's a few pictures:
The house Helen Keller was born in.

 Helen's parent's bedroom, with Helen's dresses hanging in the closet.
 The dining room where the incident with Annie happened. 
 Hannah standing in front of the cottage where Annie and Helen went.  They put Helen in a buggy and drove her around for a few hours and then went to the cottage.  It's about 15 feet from the main house. 
 The famous water pump, where Helen finally spelled "water" to Annie.
 Me, Lynae and Camden
 Lynae and I
After walking around for a little while, we met Tyler for lunch at Ricatonis Italian Grill.
This was the restaurant that Vance said I had to go to before leaving for home.  I asked Cheryl what her favorite was and she said "I can't remember what it's called, but it's got chicken in like a lemon mushroom sauce."  Well that was enough description for me to find it on the menu.
Rotolo di Pollo (al prosciutto e formaggio)  
IT WAS AMAZING!!!  Everyone who gave me suggestions on what to eat, was right on!! It was delightful!! Lemon mushroom sauce is a great idea!!  They also had this AMAZING bread!!  So yummy!!

This is really a terrible picture, but it's the only one I have of everybody.  
When we were done, we went out and I took this picture of the Alabamites!! 

It was nearing time for me to head south to the airport.  Lynae didn't want to take Camden in the car for 5 hours down and back and had an interview with the Bishop before she would make it, so we decided Hannah would take me.  
My last picture with Camden!! I'm missing this face!!!

Lynae asked if I'd mind driving to Birmingham so Hannah only had to drive one way.  I told her I didn't mind, but we'd need Kiki Von Garmin, to tell us where to go.  She hooked it up and I had fun following the directions.  I need to get me a Kiki.  We got to the airport safely and I bid farewell to Alabama!

A big shout out to Lynae and Tyler for letting me crash their house for a few days, and to Hannah for sleeping on the floor in the living room and letting me sleep in her bed.  It was probably one of the best vacations I've ever had!! Love you guys!!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I've always been fascinated by Helen Keller. How neat that you got to see her birthplace! What an amazing trip.