Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A funny thing happened on the way to the Circle

In the past I've used my blog to pay tribute to the smart people in my life. (Remember the story about the twist ice cream machine.) Today I wish to do another tribute inspired by an experience I had at work. I was working the drive thru this afternoon and an elderly woman pulled up. The menu board has an automatic greeting which asks if you'd like to try a combo meal. She said no, then proceeded to order,
"I'd like an almond fudge shake extra nuts please."
"Okay," I say. "What size will that be?"
" A large," she replies, "extra nuts."
"Alright, what else can I get for you?"
"A small almond fudge shake."
"A small you said?"
"Yes, a small almond fudge shake, no nuts."
"So you want a large almond fudge shake extra nuts, and a small fudge shake?"
"NO! I want a large almond fudge shake, extra nuts and a small almond fudge shake, no nuts!"
(By this time she's shouting at me because obviously I have a hearing problem.)
"Okay so a large almond fudge extra nuts and a small almond fudge no nuts?"
"Yes that's right."
"Okay. I'll have that total for you at the window." At which point I bust up laughing! I'm sorry, but does almond imply something I'm not aware of? Did she assume that I was going to royally mess up this order by giving her a small fudge shake? I love my job. I love serving the general public. But mostly I love being treated like I'm the stupid one... Almond fudge shake anyone? We'll even make it without nuts if you prefer!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Hah!! That is awesome. Reminds me of the good old days when I worked at Arctic Circle. We used to get regular elderly folks too, and their orders were often interesting. I don't think I realized you worked there! I must say, I still use my Circle ice cream skills every time I go to Maverick for a yogurt cone! You're a trooper. I hated working the drive-thru: people always got impatient, often rude, and things seldom went smoothly. Have you seen the Arctic Circle commercial about the girl getting it on making shakes? Marc has decided that's me, since I was the designated shake lady anytime I was working. Anyhow, sorry for that rambling comment. Your post brought back a lot of memories! :)

Celeste said...

haha that's hilarious! That seriously just made my day. :)